Monday, January 08, 2007

work work work

If one more person asks me what I plan to do with my degree and what I plan to do when I actually get around to graduating, I AM GOING TO SCREAM!

It's been an interesting experience at work. I love it beyound anything I could ever imagine. I feel like I am making a difference but sometimes making a difference is a frustrating task. I am constantly trying to break down the "this is how we've always done it" barrier and intriduce things like looking at why people aren't coming to join our organization. I am constantly bringing up the issues of race, class, gender, culture, sexuality, and the list could keep going.

Yet, bottom line, this is it. This is what I want to do. I want to work in a type of social service and that is CAMP! I see camp as a tool for educzation and service in our community. I believe it instills one of the best qualities for any person to have...COMMUNITY.

Along with directing, I also want to keynote and consult. There aren't enough women in the field and I am determined to change that.

Continuing my education is being done because I want to learn. I already have the job and already can support myself. I am going because I need to learn more about the community of this country and globe. Which is why I am studying what I am studying. It's only to help me make more of an impact.

So in the middle of this crazy schedule and work of mine and when I am feeling like no one really cares about what we could really do to help the world and these girls, and I am asked what I plan on doing, I get so damn frustrated. THIS IS A REAL JOB! IT TAKES A LOT OF WORK! I GET PAID FOR IT! I HAVE BENEFITS! WHAT ELSE WILL MAKE IT REAL ENOUGH TO DO FOREVER? WHAT I ASK< WHAT?

(Really the caps are not meant for people reading this but how I would prefer to say it to the people who ask and I politiely respond)

No comments: